Sign up to receive a free checklist to help you understand if you might be raising an Orchid Kid.
An orchid requires special care and in the right conditions, grows to become a flower of phenomenal beauty.
And whether or not you have a professional diagnosis for your child, you may be sensing that something's just not quite right. If so, we want you to know . . .
You’re not alone. We're here to help!
What's an "Orchid Kid"?
An "Orchid Kid" is a child who:
- Is highly sensitive to feelings, senses, and environments
- Struggles with managing big feelings
- Is often extremely shy or volatile and dramatic
- Doesn’t respond well to new or difficult situations
- May be highly sensitive, with developmental, behavioral, or learning differences from their typically developing peers
- Requires special care, just like an orchid
What we offer...
Unlimited 24-7 access to online video classes and articles written by professionals and parents.
Connection and understanding with parents who also are raising Orchid Kids and are ready to share perspective and support.
You will immediately feel a sense of relief, support, and community being surrounded by parents in the same boat.
Practical and effective tools to help you anticipate challenging behaviors so that both you and your child will feel less anxious.
Parenting a child with developmental, behavioral, and/or learning challenges can be incredibly difficult.
In addition to all the “regular” challenges (bedtimes, schedules, potty training, discipline, tantrums, school), parents of highly sensitive children generate a whole other list of concerns:
- Why is my Orchid so sensitive and hard to parent?
- What can I do to change my Orchid’s challenging behaviors?
- What therapies does my Orchid need?
- How do I take care of myself and other family members when my Orchid consumes so much of my time and energy?
- How do I nurture my Orchid while also encouraging and motivating her/him to be their best self?
We'll help you:
- Understand what triggers your child’s difficult behaviors
- Encourage and empower your child to learn new skills.
- Support your child’s independence and sense of competence.
- Plan for success.
- Troubleshoot difficult situations.
- Find community with other parents who truly understand the unique challenges facing Orchid parents.
What Parents Are Saying
“Thanks again for this class. I felt truly heard and supported through this caring and thoughtful group. I was choked up at the end of last night's session. It's hard to address the challenges of parents with kids of different ages, who are facing so many different physical, emotional, and developmental challenges. You guys did a great job of giving everyone a chance to be heard and facilitating some personalized problem-solving from your various professional perches. This group was perfect for me in that the leaders had such diverse professional frameworks, the participants were so supportive, and it was convenient, affordable, and small enough to feel comfortable.”Amy H.Parent of an Orchid Kid
“This class really put into perspective some of the issues other Orchid parents are facing on a daily basis. It helped me to appreciate the amazing qualities my Orchid exhibits and not just the troubles we are facing. Gabriele and Jen are a breath of fresh air. Their loving and helpful mentality helped me feel very comfortable talking about, and through, some of the challenges we faced. I got a ton of tools to help in dealing with my own emotions about myself, my parenting style, and my frustrations. Since the class, my relationship with my Orchid has progressed right alongside his ability to shift and express himself and that feels so amazing.”Edward W.Parent of an Orchid Kid
“I want to thank you both for the Raising Orchids class. I found it to be extremely helpful. One of the things I have found most difficult about having an Orchid child is feeling like I am alone in my journey. Sure, there are teachers and therapists who provide support, but even though I know it is not the case, when I look around, it seems like other families have it so easy. The opportunity to meet and hear from other parents of Orchid children was really valuable. I am happy to hear you are planning to offer the class again. I would definitely recommend it to other parents. Both of you offered such great feedback and helped everyone think through things. I really appreciate all the support you both provided!”Rachel S.Parent of an Orchid Kid